Sunday, June 6, 2010

"I Guess its Just You and Me, Tom"

While this blog is dedicated to many situations where I have had to deal with losers, lunatics, and my general propensity for ridiculous situations to happen around me, every now and again, I win. And this time, I won big. This is the story about the day I meet the man I have dreamed about meeting for YEARS: Tom Brady.

To say I love Tom Brady is a bit of an understatement. Tom Brady is, after all, the perfect man. So handsome, seems to be so nice and truly humbled by his success, and has so kindly given Boston THREE superbowl victories. I have, with no shame, convinced my young nieces that he is in fact my boyfriend and we are going to get married. They used to tell other people about this, by the way, strangers included. When he got married, I, remained, however, a lifer on Team Brady. I get excited when I see him on TV, I jumped up and down the three times I have tried to see him up close: 1. The post-superbowl XXVIII victory duck boat parade, 2007 training camp, and from outside the players entrance at a 2006 Pats game (when Ellis Hobbs had a 92 (or was it 97?) yard touchdown on a return, and Brady and co completely shut out the Texans). I even survived the Esximo bowl for the opprtunity to see the man live in a play off game. Each time, I got closer and closer. And then, my sister mentions doing the Best Buddies Hyannisport challenge to me, which is a 100 mile bike ride from Boston to Hyannis to support the global organization committed to enhancing opportunities in high school, college, and the workforce for individuals with intellectual disabilities. I go to register, see that Brady has a team I can join, which promises a team pic post ride. I, despite the additional money I had to raise, sign up to be on TB12 immediately.

The ride weekend opens with a flag football game, which Brady QB-d, and once again, I get super close to him, but once again, didnt get to make contact with him or get a good picture, despite the fact that I put myself in with a bunch of kids (who I befriended) who were also waiting to get his autograph. Whatever, I tell myself, the ride is tomorrow, and you are on TB12, so its all good.

Race day wasnt looking so hot weather-wise, unfortunately. I had revised my start point from the 100 because I remembered I'm not a cyclist, and this was my first race, afterall. Downpour, dark gray skies, plus thunder and lightening the entire ride down to my checkpoint. The check point was completely flooded, but, I committed to this ride, and I was determined to do it. I leave my bag with my wallet, camera and carefully picked out finish line shower and change into outfit that I was to be wearing in the team picture with a friend, and despite warming up in the parking lot in cold never ending rain, it opened up for the start. Which, then turned into not so optimal extremely hot and humid riding conditions. Whatever.

My bag wasn't at the finish line. It surfaces several hours later, and I'm pretty bummed out about this, comfort and Brady photo-op wise. I'm sweaty from the ride, somewhat dried from the rain, and thankfully I had a pair of mesh shorts in my gear pack, so at least could change into them and get rid of my bike shorts aka "adult riding ass cushions".
Wait for Brady to show up at the Tandem rides (buddies ride with celebs, like Dan Koppen, Bill Bellichick, Stephen Neal, Pierre Woods, and Brady of course) which, again, I was SUPER close to them - this time, I could have touched them if I reached my arm out - so that was awesome.
But, I have no camera, and I'm filthy. I also hadnt looked at my hair at this point, which, when I did, could have gotten me admitted to a mental institution BEFORE I even told one of my stories. I'm hoping the Brady pic will happen at this point, as others are still in their ride gear, but nope, they tell us to head into the party tent (aka, gathering of the beautiful and showered people now rocking the dressed to the cape nines). Absolute dejection sets in. I started telling a harpoon IPA all about how nothing was going my way, and this whole thing is going to be a disaster, - and then I say, screw it - if there is anything I know how to do, its to put my seldom creeping vanity in the can and remember the mission at hand! Man's married to Gisele, for Gods sakes. Like he cared what I looked like! I go into the bathroom, fix my hair best I could, and when Brady comes out on the stage (they had emailed the team and told us the pic would be post awards) I march right up there, and again, I am less then ten feet away from him,on the five feet away side of that scale. So close. Award after award, and I start thinking, wow, I've been so close to both Brady and Anthony Shriver today, I'm starting to take it for granted a little bit. BUT, THEN
Brady calls for his team to come up, the moment I have been waiting for. Before he is even done, I march up, step on stage RIGHT next to him. In front of about 2,000 people, and Tom Brady hasnt even realized I am next to him yet. I start thinking "ahh, you are a dork, now what are you going to do, stand next to him like a damn wierdo???"

But, then.........
Tom looks down at me, I smile up at him (I am sure it was absolute adoration and love kind of smile) he smiles back, and puts his arm around MY WAIST.
(internal monologue: OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD).
Here I am, just me and Tom, and he has his arm around my waist! So I say go for it, and put my arm around his waist and say at that point, outloud "Oh my god" Brady then says, as we are standing there together, "Anyone else from my team want to come up?" And I say to him "I dont know Tom, I guess its just you and me!" he laughs at that.

All of the other chicks start coming up, a few guys (meanwhile, Anthony Shriver, who is also beautiful, has now taken the mic, and is asking if there are any men on brady's team) and all of these girls are in like dresses and all done up, Brady keeps his arm around me. More people come up, he drops it to shake hands, I of course, will not move away from his side FOR ANYONE, and when picture time comes, he puts his arm back around my waist, notices I am getting crowded out of the pic (I am on my tippy toes next to him) and he says, "wait guys. hey, Todd, can you move in and down a bit" (so I am now in the picture) and I say "Thanks Tom" and he says "you got it!"

Cant wait to see that picture, because then I can see what true joy looks like on my face!!!!!!!!

When its over (so I am in the team pic, next to and arms around eachother's waists WITH with TOM BRADY) I say to him "wow. Thank you so much. YOu seriously just made my entire life right now"

And he looks down at me, SMILES at me AGAIN and says "No, thank you"


GREATEST.MOMENT.OF.MY.LIFE. PERIOD.

5 comments:

Boston Food Diary said...

OH MY GOD!!! Tunney!!! That is amazing!!!! Soooo Giesele is pretty worried right now huh?

Congratulations on finishing as well- that is a wonderful accomplishment!!

STHTM said...

I just cant believe he was awesome enough to make sure I was in the picture. I cant. I mean, that touched my heart forever. He didnt have to do that. And he did. In addition to his genuine commitment to the Best Buddies cause, I couldnt possibly love him more. More then I already did. Which, was a lot.

Oh, and the fact that I had my arm around Tom Brady's waist??? For like two minutes??? I cant believe it. I cant.

Unknown said...

That is a truly beautiful story, I'm so psyched for you Tunney!

Unknown said...

That is amazing Captain!!! WOW!! I can't even believe it!! He had his arm around your waist!! Holy Macaroni!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STHTM said...

Yes, he did!!!!!!! AND, I had mine around his! AND, I joked around with him! I always thought if I ever meet Tom Brady, I would make a total arse of myself - but, it was all so surreal and I was just so whatever with the whole thing, but determined to see it thru - it just all worked out. I cant believe it. I cant. I just cant. I, seriously, couldnt have dreamed it any better.